…As in both “Event” and “To Do List.” Please join us tomorrow, Sunday, April 25th at the library at 3pm to bring the Friends of the Library back to life. The key to the strength of the revived Friends group will be a broad base of residents working together. One of the secrets to success is a clear set of responsibilities and, where possible, specific job descriptions. When you come tomorrow, the co-chairs of the committees below will talk briefly about what their committees will do and how you can get involved. We hope to get people involved in a wide variety of capacities depending on their skills and interests. Below you can see a brief list of what we need Friends to help us with.
If you cannot attend the Revival meeting we still seek your help. If you are interested in volunteering, simply check out our online volunteer form and check the boxes for jobs you are interested in or send an email to email@example.com.
|This committee proposes, plans and coordinates logistics for Friends parties, events and other large gatherings. Works closely with membership and publicity.
- Co-Chairs: Melissa Wilson and Beth O’Connor
- Job descriptions:
- Sneak Peek Invitation Coordinator: Create invitation list for Sneak Peek, coordinate mailers, receipt of invitations, will-call list. 20 hours per month until June.
- Food and Drink Coordinator: Work with vendors of food and beverage, obtain donations and in-kind contributions. 20 hours per month until June.
- Entertainment Coordinator: Find performers and coordinate timing, facility needs, and payment for Sneak Peek and Grand Opening. 10-15 hours per month until July.
- Decoration and Environment: Coordinate decorations, signage (in-library and including large over-street sign). 10-15 hours per month until July
- Fundraiser Coordinator: Devise and coordinate small-scale fundraisers for Sneak Peek and Grand Opening including 50-50 raffle, picture booths, silent auction. 10-20 hours per month until June.
- Tours Coordinator: Coordinate tours during Sneak Peek, Senior Week, Grand Opening and during other days in initial month, find volunteer tour leaders and develop tour script and materials. 10-2o hour per month until August.
- Tour Guides (several needed): Lead tours of new facility as defined above. 5-10 hours per month in July.
- Video Production: Coordinate production of brief video on value of libraries for presentation at Sneak Peek
- Publicity Committee Liaison: Work with publicity committee to produce and distribute all necessary publicity materials. 20 hours per month until July.
- Membership Committee Liaison: Work with membership committee to find volunteers for tasks above. 10-20 hours per month until July.
|This committee proposes, plans and coordinates book, music, arts and cultural programs for library patrons. Works closely with publicity and the library director.
- Co-Chairs: Kevin Deegan-Krause, James Hanks, Kevin Yezbick
- Job descriptions:
- Program Leader (several needed): Takes the lead in devising and/or implementing plan for specific program or program series (speakers, movies, performances, exibitions). 10-20 hours per month during program period.
- Program Assistants (many needed): Works with program leader to invite participants, coordinate schedules, work with publicity committee to attract audience. 5-10 hours per month during program.
- Membership Liaison: Work with membership committee to recruit audience members and volunteers (see below). 5-10 hours per month
|This committee collects book donations; sorts, organizes and sells books in the library’s bookstore and the annual book sale. Works closely with membership and the library staff.
- Co-chairs: Don DeCenzo and Jeannie Davis
- Job descriptions:
- Sale Coordinator: Set dates and conditions for annual sale and smaller sales, and for meetings and work periods leading up to the sales. 5 hours per month, 40 per month before annual sale.
- Store Coordinator: Coordinate hours and workers for the store, oversee plan for shelving and display of materials. 5-10 hours per month.
- Donation Delivery: Available to pick up donations from bookstores, yard sales and other sources and bring them to the library. Sporadic, up to 5 hours per month.
- Donation Sorters (many needed). Organize received books in library storage space according to category. Variable 1-10 hours per month.
- Cashier. Handle receipt of cash at book sales, and store during store hours. Devise system for payment of Friends items with library circulation staff. 5 hours per month.
- Store clerk/Book sale clerk. Staff book store and book sale. Variable 2-10 hours per month.
|This committee develops membership, coordinates recruitment efforts and data, tracks members and dues, and maintains communications among members;
- Co-chairs: Veronica Bielat and Kelly Farrah
- Job descriptions
- Program Committee Liaison: Maintain connection with program committee, and make sure Friends membership information is promoted as appropriate at all Friends of the Library events (see above). 5-10 hours per month
- Publicity Committee Liaison: Develop and maintain inventory of Friends marketing information including brochures, flyers, and other materials as appropriate to market and promote friends membership. Maintain Friends display in the library and the Friends bookstore area (see below). 5-10 hours per month.
- Membership Welcome Team Member: Develop, maintain and distribute “welcome packets” for new Friends members, including follow up with those new members who indicate they want to be active in the organization. 10 hours per month in initial month, 5 hours per month thereafter.
- New Member Outreach Team Member: Actively seek out new members in particular settings (organizations, assemblies). Encourage existing Friends to recruit friends and neighbors. 5 hours per week.
- Meeting Coordinator: Schedule meetings, facilitate needed materials and refreshments.
- Membership Committee Coordinator: Maintain communication among all members of membership committee, take minutes at meetings, liaison with Friends leadership. 10-20 hours per month.
|This committee provides basic public relations, marketing, web and social networking services. Works closely with all committees and coordinates with library marketing director.
- Initial organizers: Bridget Deegan-Krause and Michael Pierce
- Job descriptions:
- Graphic designers: Produce graphics, event invitations, posters, flier templates. 5-10 hours per month.
- Webmaster: Maintain web-based list of events and activities and engage on Friends website and social media sites and engage directly with participants. 10 hour per month.
- Press liaison: Contact local news sources and others regarding Friends events, issue press releases. 5-10 hours per month.
- Downtown liaison: Work with local businesses, government and nonprofits to post flyers and find other means for increasing visibility of Friends events. Maintain Friends entries on community calendars. 5-10 hours per month.
- Schools liaison: Work with school district and private schools to increase visibility of friends activities. 5 hours per month.
- Membership Committee Liaison: Communicates with Friends members in coordination with Membership Committee (see above)
|Not a committee but a set of tasks coordinated by the Friends in close cooperation with the Library Director. Potential tasks include:
- Processing library material for the move (May and June)
- Providing volunteer support for the reference desk, circulation desk and material stacks.
- Working with the library board on Fund Raising (eventually to become a Friends Fund Raising committee)
- Developing plans for tutoring, book delivery to the homebound and related service (eventually to become a Service Committee)
- Helping the library to assess and price used furniture and other items that will not be used in the new library and to prepare these for sale or auction.